Monday, October 12, 2015

Reflections: Looking Back On the Semester in Mythology

First of all I would like to thank the wonderful Lara Gibbs for such a creative class. It has definitely been a lot of writing but the reward I have felt, and the creative expression you have provided as an outlet for all of us that take your course is just, amazing. Teachers like you make learning fun. And you always do so with a typed smiley face and understanding. It has all been a refreshing experience. Thank you.

I have really been impressed with some of the stories I have concocted. I use the word concocted specifically, as I feel like a mad poet with some of my aggressive writing style and the things I have composed so far. Most tell me they love my over saturated descriptive, start-stop format, and I hope so. I have definitely developed a signature style and have always felt like somewhat of a writer, but now fully feel like a writer with my own identity. Though aggressive, I think people also find the subtle beauty I try to finesse inside of my writing. I hope so. And if they do not, at least I do. But so far I have enjoyed the praise and class.

I write about warriors and animals mostly. There is always violence. I like hints of humor if I can but sometimes it doesn't make it into a story and that is ok I have learned. Sometimes I just write. My blinders go up, I have narrowed focused vision, and I write. I enjoy being lost in that zone. In that mind frame. Lost.

My favorite stories thus far written from myself are of my three warriors (But don't read the last two as they will be in my portfolio soon and you can read them then Laura!): Rha the Destroyer // Makoma Neon // Yamato M12 and my two lion stories based from Aesop's Fables: Wolves Lions & Glory // A Lion Amongst Bulls

My favorite stories I have read are both from Aesop. Here is one, The Boar and the Fox:

As a Boar was whetting his Teeth against a Tree, up comes a Fox to him.
"Pray, what do you mean by That?" says he, "for I see no occasion for't."
"Well," says the Boar, "but I do; for when I come once to be set upon, 'twill be too late for me to be Whetting when I should be Fighting."


No Man, or State can be safe in Peace, that is no always in readiness to encounter an Enemy in Case of War.

I just really love the moral. Staying war ready. Being competitive. The second story was called the Foolhardy wolf in which a wolf looked up to a Lion cause of his effective hunting skills, and one day tried to be like lion with too much confidence and got crushed by an elephant. The cool quote from it was 'Great Lion, come forth in thy might. Food is in sight.'
and it reminded me of an exact quote I told my little brothers one day -

"Do not be impressed by people that might be your peers. Idolizing is for little boys. You can appreciate talent but do not idolize."

As far as classmate interaction I think it's going well. Sometimes the post feel a little forced and repetitive but that is hard to stop, we are all human. But meeting new people is always fun!

I have no set schedule, I do this all at a whim when I have time usually knocking it out first before design or history homework. Sundays is a good day to do work. I do it in my room on my bed usually. During the week I do some during study breaks in the library. I work best in the quite. It's kinda soothing and accomplishing to get the stuff checked off, especially when you know you have just created a unique piece of imaginative work. Thanks again Laura!


3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Michael, THANK YOU so much! I read through these Reflections posts looking for ideas about how to improve the classes... and it made me so happy to know that you are enjoying the class. Not all classes work for all people, but I really would like for everybody to have a good time in this class and learn lots... and that way I get to have a good time and learn lots too. So, it's selfish and practical all at the same time ha ha. Anyway, thank you again and I hope you have a fabulous second half of the semester!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Michael,
    I definitely agree with you about how amazing this class is. I was never a fan of writing short stories, but this class has not felt like it was forced. I look forward to finding stories to write about and turn into my own version. Being a science major I never really thought my stories would be that good, but I am also impressed with some of my own tales. I am glad that this class has been a way for you to express your creativity as it has been for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely a fun class! I just wish I would have focused a little more on it the first half of the semester! I know how busy you are, so I cannot imagine where you fit this class in, but clearly you are making it work. I have tried to stay caught up with your stories each week, and I personally think they are awesome. You have an imagination like no other! Good luck with the second half of the semester!

    ReplyDelete