Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Week 4 Storytelling - Wolves Lions & Glory

The Foolhardy Wolf
a Jataka Tale

The original story // Inspiration:

The Foolhardy Wolf
A lion bounded forth from his lair one day, looking north, west, south, and east. He saw a Buffalo and went to kill him.

The Lion ate all of the Buffalo-meat he wanted, and then went down to the lake for a drink. As the Lion turned to go toward his den for a nap, he came upon a hungry Wolf. The Wolf had no chance to get away, so he threw himself at the Lion's feet.

"What do you want?" the Lion asked.

"O Lion, let me be your servant," said the Wolf.

"Very well," said the Lion; "serve me, and you shall have good food to eat."

So saying, the Lion went into his den for his nap. When he woke up, the Lion said to the Wolf: "Each day you must go to the mountain top and see whether there are any elephants, or ponies, or buffaloes about. If you see any, come to me and say: 'Great Lion, come forth in thy might. Food is in sight.' Then I will kill and eat, and give part of the meat to you."

So day after day the Wolf climbed to the mountain top and, seeing a pony, or a buffalo, or an elephant, he went back to the den, and falling at the Lion's feet he said: "Great Lion, come forth in thy might. Food is in sight."

Then the Lion would bound forth and kill whichever beast it was, sharing the meat with the Wolf.

Now this Wolf had never had such fine meat to eat, nor so much. So as time went on, the Wolf grew bigger and bigger, and stronger and stronger, until he was really proud of his great size and strength.

"See how big and strong I am," he said to himself.

"Why am I living day after day on food given me by another? I will kill for my own eating. I'll kill an elephant for myself."

So the Wolf went to the Lion, and said: "I want to eat an elephant of my own killing. Will you let me lie in your corner in the den, while you climb the mountain to look out for an elephant? Then when you see one, you come to the den and say, 'Great Wolf, come forth in thy might. Food is in sight.' Then I will kill the elephant."

Said the Lion: "Wolf, only Lions can kill elephants. The world has never seen a Wolf that could kill an elephant. Give up this notion of yours, and eat what I kill."

But no matter what the Lion said, the Wolf would not give way. So at last the Lion said: "Well, have your own way. Lie down in the den, and I will climb to the top of the mountain."

When he saw an elephant the Lion went back to the mouth of the cave, and said: "Great Wolf, come forth in thy might. Food is in sight."

Then from the den the Wolf nimbly bounded forth, ran to where the elephant was, and, howling three times, he sprang at the elephant. But the Wolf missed his aim, and fell down at the elephant's feet. The elephant raised his right foot and killed the Wolf.

Seeing all this, the Lion said, "You will no more come forth in your might, you foolhardy Wolf."

____________________________________________


Author's Notes
My story is inspired by an Indian fable named The Foolhardy Wolf found in Jataka Tales (Babbitt). Sometimes when I try and start my imagination I look at pictures for inspiration before even typing a word. This was the first time I have solely started with this method and I liked how it worked out. I knew I wanted to write about the story of the foolhardy wolf and the lion but that's it. I had no direction and I didn't want to simply copy the story with minor tweaks like the wolf living and learning or something of that nature.


The other inspiration I had was the harsh, epic, blood -spilling, scary, deadly rivalry of the bloods and the crips, specifically Compton. Straight Outta Compton the new 2015 movie could have helped with that thinking. Straight outta Tulsa over here whoot whoot. But basically this gang war is now a gang war with a pack against a pride. Two of my favorite animals, but the lion being my main squeeze. Isn't it ironic how domestic cats are way smaller than domestic dogs but the biggest wild dog (the timber wolf) is way smaller than the biggest wild cat (male African lion.. shh no one cares about tigers. They are longer but male lions usually weigh more and are bulkier). But like wtf?! It shouldn't be that way haha, cats are so puny as the Incredible Hulk would say. But not lions!



I also made the story go back and fourth in a descriptive ESPN-like comparison of two heavy weights about to take center ring. But instead, my statistics are adjectives. My numbers are words. The back and fourth could also be seen as a tug of war with the story, the emotions, the struggle of conflict. Breaking up the space also gives the eyes more of a rest in between passages.


Lastly I put the authors note in the front this time to add a background and insight to my thinking before hand and to add a little dramatic suspense. Who will win? Dun dun dun..

_______________________________


Wolves Lions & Glory

Inspired by the original Jataka Tale:
The Foolhardy Wolf

The pack of wolves led by their alpha male with glowing blue eyes like lightning.
He was lightning. His hamstrings were lightning in a bottle. Quicker than most. As vicious as they came.

The pride of lions led by their biggest meanest hulk of a beast that is the African lion with the eyes of the fiery sun and sparks for pupils. Mane golden with brown flair to show experience and aggressive moxy. He hit his agile stride towards the approaching enemy. Towards the score of wolves.
___

The wolf started his speed burst and full out stride. Legs kicking out in front of him but quickly meeting in the middle as he covered ground in haste, ever so quickly. Now closing in with his sprint, awaiting his glory as victor or awaiting Cerberus in the afterlife.

The lion had waited his life for a purpose at hand. He lived for battle. The scars covering his body were to show for it. Trophies in the arena he called survival. Would this be the day his spirit live forever as a warrior. As a bringer of death. As the legendary. Now he rumble in full charge. Destruction in his eyes.
___

The beasts were now yards away. Striking distance imminent. Killing distance desired. The thirst for glory in their throat. Savagely keen to lick the blood of their spoil off their lips. This was no hunt. This was no skirmish. This was war. Victoribus Spolia. To the victor go the spoils. May he who win live as the conqueror of everlasting glory. The other perhaps forgotten as he absorb back into the earth the conquered. With glory or with shame? Win. 
___

The beast charge one another with a passionate severity only known by ferocity of their caliber. Electricity surrounds them. Hairs stand. Claws slash. Teeth serrate. Primal intensity is alive. Dust, blood, and flesh fly..
___

Who wins..





2 comments:

  1. Great storytelling! The thing I love most about this class is that you can let your imagination run wild! I like how you kept the elements of a story, but made a complete change to the plot. I like your writing style too. It was easy for me to create pictures in my head as I read. I also like that you ended on a cliffhanger. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the photo you chose! It's really cool, where did you find it? Also, story gets five stars. It's very well written and the moral/theme is very clear though the story, to me, seems very unique and different. (I don't read many animal stories...) However, animals, particularly strong predators seem to be a theme you like in general. I'm really excited for your portfolio!

    ReplyDelete