Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Week 6 Storytelling - Yamato M12

Yamato M12
based off of the Japanese legends of
Yamato the Great Samurai


Author's Foreword:
Yamato is a great Samurai warrior legend, compared
to the prestige of say, Hercules. There are actually a lot of similarities between the two, both being very
different styles of warriors however. They both undergo their respective labors, with both having slain great dragons, beast boars, and sirens. Yamato is the greatest samurai in Japanese legend. Here is my rendition of this legendary warrior:

Black steel and titanium shine
His metal be his life now
His four swords had always been metal
Four feet of hardened Japanese steel
But now most his body metal
His heart half metal
None know what his face appears anymore
For he bore a tech helmet full of circular sensors
More technology and metal than human anymore
He still retain his legendary skill
The skill with the samurai sword
His acute quickness that win him continuous life
And deadly blow after deadly blow to his enemy
Now he was heightened with hydraulic systems
Armor of metal and sensors
Weapons of a new age with weapons of the old
Mechanized for undeniable victory
A reminiscence of his old armor still vaguely there
Layered metal pads over his thighs and shoulders
A fierce scowl over the bottom half of his face
His demonic samurai mask
His second favorite piece behind his katanas
The mask set like a samurai gas mask
Like the jowls of snarling wolf
A scary beastly look
His enemies think him roaring with a still face
Raising the skin of the victims he rushed
The cheeks and canines of a dark lion
They know not if he be man animal or demon
They only know he be their death
A swoosh of black on black steel
A swift blunt gash of deep invisible cuts
Too fast for the human eye
At least too fast to react for most
Only the greatest warriors would last minutes
Built for effectiveness in combat
Homage to the traditional
The new Yamato would be more legendary
More unique
More savage than the old
His brain now mostly technology
His programming be elegant swift force
For a new glory
If one could call it so
A new breed of samurai
A new breed of warrior
Metal and man combined
Technology and human interwoven
All black everything
Black steel and blood
Beauty in the samurai code
For there now not be one in this upgrade
Yamato M12

Author's Notes:
I was heavily inspired by Yamato and his labors and it rekindled my love for the samurai. I have liked this warrior most (with only challenge from Spartans since the eve of the beautiful movie 300). I tried a purely descriptive, non-narrative style to write my 'story' for Yamato. I just really wanted to describe a dope warrior that could become my own, derived from the Japanese legends of Yamato the great samurai.

The honor and strict profession of a samurai is so respectable to me. They even kill themselves as a warrior's code if they are defeated fairly in battle showing no pain or fear. They fight for honor. I compete for glory. There is a crossover between those I am sure. At least that is what I tell myself haha. The Samurai way of life inspires me.

I used his original name but added M12 to indicate a version upgrade of sorts. M because of my name Michael, and 12 because it's my rugby jersey and favorite number. I did not want him to be merely mortal anymore, but a mechanized half human, mostly robotic samurai warrior. Being only human is a drag. So why not? I actually spent a good two hours some change trying to find the right photos. I am picky. I use photos to show the viewer a glimpse of what I think, and though never exact and always somewhat abstract, and for the most part the idea comes across vividly I think. I try to make words and the imagery one in the same. They feed off one another. And hopefully my assembled thumbnails of detail and idea show you somewhat of a Yamato I envision and describe.

The sources I used to compose a mood board for my ideal
Yamato M12 Tech-Weapon Samurai Beast!

Daiichi Picture by Hasan Bajramovic hbajramovic
Samurai Armor Wallpaper High Quality Resolution #xc50 ~ EasyOffer.net
Sweyda, Typography, type, custom lettering, hand lettering, vector, vector illustration, action sports |
Samurai Stock II by PhelanDavion on DeviantArt
M/R] Angelic Sentinels: F&S | OOC
MaqNox — #dope #swag #fashion #style #adidas #y3...

5 comments:

  1. Hey Michael, this is the first type of writing style/story I've read this semester and I really enjoyed it! I felt that it flowed pretty nicely and that the progression came together well. I also felt like as the lines became shorter, the story became more intense. The descriptions were good as well. It truly made the character come to life (as did the pictures you chose, which helped to envision it)! I hope to read more of your stuff this semester! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story and great image. First, let me give you props for the image. It really did show the things you were describing in the story. The words you used to describe Yamato M12 really helped me envision how/what he is. The style you used was great too as with a regular style, all the descriptive words would've seemed boring. But this style didn't do that. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Michael ,
    I really like the style you used for this story. I loved the short sentences that were packed with descriptive information. I liked how your story was over the warrior and how he was i really felt i could see him. also your pictures were very good as if your writing was not descriptive enough i had the pictures there to help even more. very good job

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Micheal! Your writing style is very interesting and I have to say it’s the first of its type that I have seen and read. Regarding your story I think your new idea of a modern Yamato is pretty awesome! The way you describe it being half man and half metal reminds me of the terminator series. Those movies are some of my favorite and it gets me thinking if these half metal half human things were to become real, they might just be able to take over the world. Your description of the Yamato M12 is astounding. The way you describe all its features and what it looks like really help me imagine this warrior. Those two hours you spend on looking for the picture also came in clutch because those really gave me the idea of what the Yamato M12 would look like. Good job on the story! Keep up the good working!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michael,

    This is the first time that I have across this storytelling style. It is very unique and I did enjoy it. I will also admit that your image on this story if my most favorite image that I have come across this whole semester. I have seen many images where they are related to the story but I have never seen an image so perfect for a story. Kudos to you for putting that together. The description of Yamato made me think of Star Wars, Terminator and Transformers in some sense because of the physical build that you were describing. It was so modern and I loved it and I think you really made this character your own and have really taken storytelling to another level.

    I think that your Portfolio is coming along great and the stories that you have so far are a great and I am excited to see where the rest of your portfolio goes. Great job!

    ReplyDelete