Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Reflections

I have greatly enjoyed this class, online mythology, at the University of Oklahoma, curated by the lovely Laura Gibbs. Honestly, reading is not a thing I enjoy, unless snippets, poetry, short facts, or short stories. I love that type of reading but anything past three pages and I usually get disinterested. Its a intellectual/creative romanticism thing with poetry I think haha. With this class however, there are so many options in each week-by-week unit that I did not have to read long things that I would hate. I had the choice. The freedom of this class within the system is probably the best thing about it tied with the push for creative writing and imagination. It's a beautiful class.

My project kept me interested the whole semester. I really got the chance to dive in to a subject matter I liked and wanted to do. That is how you keep a student engaged, by letting them have the freedom to express their passions or interest, while still staying inside the instructors class structure. My project was about warriors, and the class's set up went great with it, as each week or two weeks we would study stories or mythology from a different culture from around the world and throughout history. This lent itself for a wide variety of characters, influences, and styles. A nursing pool for creativity and idea. It gave my stories and warriors vastly different influential elements to pull from, making each one versatile and unique.

Reading and commenting on others student's projects was a good thing. It kind of gently forced you to learn more and interact, but while not knowing you were doing these things. It's good learning about other students and seeing how they express themselves. It was also cool to keep up with a writing blog with such content in the end. Something we could show people after we were done. A collection or diary of our writings.

I am most proud of how crazy, creative, violent, and descriptive I have become with my writings. Sometimes I jam too much into sentences, but I think this has kinda become my style and people have appreciated it. Even with critiques people still praise my unique diction and style. I am a fragment writer. I try to be poetic and dramatic. I jump from tenses and from slang to proper english. I am an abstract writer. I also love detail. Overkill detail. I always intend to paint a graphic picture with my words. So I am proud of blossoming as a unique creative writer with a distinct, yet versatile style. 

No comments:

Post a Comment