Monday, August 31, 2015

Reading Diary A - Aesop's Fables (English)

Aesop's Fables (English)

First thoughts while reading these classical stories were - 1) I had no idea Aesop fables had reference to Greek and Roman gods! This type of mythology is just about my most favorite of all. I just figured Aesop's fables were all about nature and classic animals like wolves, hares, and tortoise (apparently that is the singular and plural version - learn something new everyday). But no! Aesop's fables also include Greek Mythology! Dooooope. 2) Second thought was, WOW, some of these are confusing because they were written in such and old, and poetic manner. 3) Aesop (Esop) was an Athenian - so him writing about classical gods is a given, further reinforcing my first thought.


An Ape and her Two BratsThere was an Ape that had Twins. She doted upon one of them, and did not much care for t'other. She took a sudden Fright once, and in a Hurry whips up her Darling under her Arm, and carries the Other a Pick-a-pack upon her Shoulders.

In this haste and maze, down she comes, and beats out her Favourite's Brains against a Stone; but that which she had at her Back came off safe and sound.


Thoughts
I was surprised by this story most. Not only in the outcome but the explicit imagery compared to most of the fables, especially in the line "beats out her favorites brains against a stone" - so tragic. And she shouldn't have favorites. Rude.


A Boar and a Fox
As a Boar was whetting his Teeth against a Tree, up comes a Fox to him.

"Pray, what do you mean by That?" says he, "for I see no occasion for't."

"Well," says the Boar, "but I do; for when I come once to be set upon, 'twill be too late for me to be Whetting when I should be Fighting."

No Man, or State can be safe in Peace, that is no always in readiness to encounter an Enemy in Case of War.


Thoughts
I love morals like this. I was a warrior in a past life. Sport and competition are small scale is wars in the world of present. You're welcome.

Final Thoughts
The stories about Apollo, Lions, and conflict are my favorite. There were a couple that left me wanting to draw epic images for the stories, but sometimes stories are better left allowing the reading to create their own. We all have unique visions, stories are where they come to life.



No comments:

Post a Comment